The Arvada Fire Protection District is guided by an elected board of directors consisting of five members. The basic term of office is four-years and board members may not serve more than three consecutive full terms.
Special District regular elections will move to odd-numbered years beginning in May 2023. In order to get on the correct cycle, full terms for directors elected in May 2020 and May 2022 will only be three (3) years.
Directors are required to attend monthly board meetings at the District’s Headquarters (7903 Allison Way, Arvada) and occasional study sessions as needed. Directors are also encouraged to attend community events hosted by the District. Directors are compensated by the District for the meetings they attend as permitted by state statute.
To qualify as a Director of a special district, a person must be an “eligible elector” which is defined as a registered voter of Colorado and either:
- A resident of the District, or
- The owner (or the spouse or civil union partner of the owner) of taxable real or personal property situated in the District.
For the purposes of #2 above, a mobile or manufactured home qualifies as “real property,” and a person who is under contract to purchase taxable property and is obligated to pay the taxes prior to closing shall be considered an “owner.” §32-1-103(5), Colorado Revised Statutes (“C.R.S.”).
Director qualifications must be met at the time of the execution of the self-nomination form or letter or at the time of appointment by the Board of Directors, if filling a vacancy, and must be maintained in order to remain qualified as a Director.
Property that is owned by a legal entity such as a corporation, LLC, partnership, or trust does not qualify a person as an eligible elector on the basis of property ownership.
In addition to the obligations outlined in the Board Member Manual, members of the Board will also have the following responsibilities:
- Represent, support, and promote the Arvada Fire Protection District and the Arvada community. The Board is responsible to the citizens for district policies, the union contract, annual budget, and the fire chief among other important public service matters.
- Attend one regular Arvada Fire District Board meeting a month, the first Monday at 5:30 PM at the District Headquarters, 7903 Allison Way, Arvada, Colorado, and special meetings as needed.
- Represent Arvada Fire Protection District as a liaison at specific community meetings such as Friends of Arvada Fire Foundation, Arvada Chamber of Commerce, and special interest/community meetings or other Board assignments once or twice per month
- Attend 10-12 other district/community functions, events, meetings, dinners, etc. throughout the year.